Thursday, July 31, 2008

What's in your purse? What are you carrying around everyday?

That's the theme for the Ladies retreat on Saturday. We all have a purse full of unnecesary things and the idea is, we carry around spiritual and emotional junk too. I am learning first hand this week how much junk I carry around. I have had a bit of an attitude about the "tommorrow" and "oh well" attitude of mexican culture. The owner of the banquet room we were going to use cancelled on me this past week. Her reason? Family is coming into town and I want to be free and to use the room that day for a party. My guest speaker's husband decided to go on vacation starting yesterday so she is out of town. I think she went to Cabo San Lucas! Yeah jealousy rears its' ugly head!
Anyway, I had to spend some time on my knees this morning before I got on the bus to go pick up the craft for the retreat. Good thing cuz praising God put a new attitude in my heart. The bus driver was typical and the traffic horrendous and the store clerk was not so happy. In fact she spent half of the time complaining about Mexico etc... A part of me wanted to cheer her on yet a verse for the retreat kept coming to mind
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me:and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20
So I just smiled and said, "But you have a job in a nice, clean, cool building. I'm a Christian. I believe that God loves you and wants the best for you. I believe that God gave you this job and if you really think it is so bad you could try praying and asking Him for a new job."
She stared at me and quietly said, "I am so ashamed. I am a Christian too. God has been showing me about a bad attitude but He had to send somebody for me to actually listen. I know who you are."
I started to get nervous. I said, "Who am I?"
"You were in here two weeks ago buying stuff for vacation Bible school. You gave me an invitation for my kids. God has been trying to get my attention for some time now."
I invited her to church this Sunday. Her name is Evelin.
Funny how being faithful to give testimony always seems to teach, reach, and change me as much or more than those listening or watching.
I think my spiritual and emotional purse got a dumping upside-down and shaking out of the lint and everything else that doesn't belong in there!

No comments: