Wednesday, April 27, 2011

But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 19:14

Today I was sitting at the table by the front door.   Through the window I heard what I thought was hysterical laughing.  I walked outside smiling, expecting to see a bunch of happy people.  As I stepped out onto the sidewalk, I realized it was hysterical weeping and sobbing.  I thought oh no, don chewie died.  But no...I felt like someone sucker punched me directly in the diaphram.  My eyes took in the blinding white of a silk covered tiny coffin as they pulled it out of the hearse.  It wasn't Don Chewie (he has been very sick for monthes), but rather Jose Manuel, his almost 4 year old grandson.  He died instantly of a heart attack.  His body was taken into the house to be mourned.  (In Mexico it is customary to hold a wake with the body of the deceased present for the up to two days before burial.)
After hugging everyone there in the street and trying to give some words of comfort, an Aunt said, "You will come and bring words of comfort to the family tonight?"  
I walked back to my house with the memories of Jose Manuel laughing and running and doing all the things little boys do in my mind.  How was I going to give any comfort if my own heart was in shock and asking, "Why?"
I prayed alot all afternoon.  God helped me to remember a lot of verses that have helped me through the years.  BUT at eleven pm as I watched the father lean over the casket and promise to never forget his son or the joy he brought to their life...I had no words other than "May God give you the strength to endure your pain and the hope that only God can give to go on."  Please pray for Jose Manuel's family.  One of his aunts is saved, the rest of the family is not.  The picture below is not a picture of Jose Manuel but it does capture the memory of his personality and life!

No comments: